How to Help your Child Learn Mandarin and Embrace the Language
Written by Mr. Xu Zhong Tang (Mr. Sam)
In this very open and entrepreneurial society, SIS Cilegon believes that it is essential for kids to learn Mandarin to equip them in facing the 21 st century. People these days do not just stay in their home towns until they retire, but people are busy going to and fro, trotting the entire globe. They do business not just in their home country, but technology have made it possible for people to trade and socialise worldwide. Today, there are more than 1 Billion people who speak Mandarin and only 480 million people speak English.
How can you as a parent help and support your child to love and embrace Mandarin even though you yourself do not know the language?
1. Help your kids learn Chinese through Youtube Videos. You will find plenty of videos of people teaching the language. Play a video at least once every day after school.
2. Let the kids sing along to Mandarin songs. All kids love to sing. Singing make it easy for them to remember the words and they will have fun while learning. Here’s a sample video of kids singing to Mandarin songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJMcDckn-tY
3. Let them practise and master the simple day to day Chinese words to make them be comfortable in the language. They will be awkward at first, but once they get used to it, it will be more comfortable and natural for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhes3e1cak
4. Let kids have Mandarin story books at home. Remember to put in your library not just English books, but interesting Mandarin books as well. This will improve their comprehension and grasp of the language.
5. Motivate your children by asking them to speak or perform Mandarin in front of you every day. Ask “How do you say this ___________ in Mandarin?”
6. Most importantly, don’t push your children too hard. Pressuring them will make them hate or dread the language.